Saturday, March 28, 2009

the color of love

What is the color of love?

My answer is yellow and orange.  And maybe a touch of brown.

Now, before you go and correct me and rattle off red roses or pink ribbons or brown chocolate, hear me out...

I think I have spent many a blog post extolling the virtues of my house helper.  Truly, I love her - and not just because she makes my life run smoothly.  She's a great friend, a sounding board, she doesn't get irritated with me when I get irritated with life and culture here, she loves my girls, and does tons of things on her own initiative just to help me.  

But sometimes...sometimes...I wish she would just ask me first.

While I was gone in t-land for Abby's birth, she wondered and pondered what kind of present she should give to Abby.  Usually, her presents are very homemade and very unique.  This one was no exception.  She was aware that I already have too many girl clothes, so that was out.  Same with toys. So what could she get me that I didn't already have?  What could I possibly need?

Of course!!! A cover for Abby's bed!!!  Yes, that's right, a cover for a pack and play.  Let me give you a visual:

Yep, that goes all the way around and inside the pack-and-play.  She got this brilliant idea after we had left, and spent the morning at the seamstress' place talking about how it would work.  The seamstress could not seem to conceptualize what she was talking about (there's no pack-and-plays for sale at wal-mart here, folks) so what did my house helper do?

Well, she packed it up and took it to the seamstress' place.  And then they planned and organized this great gift for me and Abby.  In this great orange and yellow color.    In a room that is light green and tan.  It doesn't stick out too much, does it??  =)

Truthfully, I'm touched by her gift.  And I can actually imagine a situation where I'd like something like that - but I'd also like to pick out the colors myself.  Especially since she's at my house every day and I can't just effusively thank her and then stuff it away in a closet somewhere.  

But, she loves me and I love her, so if Abby's bed is orange for the next year and a half...well, there's worse things that could happen.

3 comments:

pod people said...

I'm diggin' the gift. It scores BIG points for original. But then again, I don't have to look at it everyday.

Too bad your helper isn't into plants.

Brandon and April said...

wow. now THAT is truly very original. I mean, how many pack n plays in america have orange and yellow covers!?
so it does stick out a bit, but at least it's not bright pink hello kitty, or strange japanese cartoons with unusually large eyes. i mean, there are WORSE fabrics in EA to pick from. :) glad she didn't go with any of those!!
but the thought is too sweet. but yeah, the person above me is right. I don't have to look at it every day. :)

mlambchopper said...

I know how much you love her. I love her for all she does for you, Josh, and the girls, and for her heart. The gifts that she has given me I could tell... were things that she had made with great care and many hours of work. And, with her schedule and the bicycle time to your house in all kinds of weather..I was honored to share the same name..Mimi. If only I could be as productive and helpful to you all...I would be..all that and a bag of chips, for sure. :)
In our "limited" conversations, she expressed to me how much she loved you and I tried to express how much I loved her for all the things she does for you and the girls and for her love for all of you. I'm not sure it was totally understood..but perhaps the many hugs that I subjected her to said what I could not.
So..I guess the orange and yellow cover is a small sacrifice..and, what other choice do you have anyway?
I love you, Rach.
Mom