Wednesday, March 18, 2009

out and about

The transition to three kids hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be, though I have the distinct advantage right now of having a sleeping newborn 85% of the time.  (and that other 15% she is easily pacified by eating or being held).  So really, it's like I have two kids and a 10 pound purse.  Well, you know what I mean.

anyway, I'm posting these pictures for those of you who don't travel to thailand every year. I think transportation here is...very...interesting, especially if you've only driven yourself everywhere in your own personal car.  

Option #1 for transportation is the red pick-up truck.  Granted, it's been altered and modified, but basically it's a red pick-up.  There are no bus routes to speak of, so these function loosely as buses.  You flag one down, tell him where you want to go, and if he's headed that way, he'll give you a nod of the head.  No yes, no no, just a nod.  The fare is based on a per-person basis, though our kids usually don't get charged.  Hop in the back of the truck where there are padded seats for you to sit on.  And usually a padded roof, and in case you decide to go mentally insane, you'll be safely protected.  =)  

This is the mode of transportation we use most often, because it's cheaper and a little less haggling. 

Option #2 is the very thai looking tuk-tuk.  I see tuktuks driving down the road, and I immediately think of thailand.  I think they also have them in other southeast asian places like cambodia and stuff, but that's beside the point.  Here's a tuktuk - a little 3 -wheel motorcycle with a spacious backseat, an overhead canopy, and a driver that wants to make a little extra money off the foreigner.  
Tuktuks are more expensive, because they're dedicated to where you want to go - not like the red truck that eventually makes it where you want to go.  But tuktuks have nice, loud motors and they zip in and out of traffic, so they're the favorite of our kids. 

And while we're out doing all this driving around, where is Abby? Well, it's a funny story...

...that I'll save for another time.  =)

But anyway, I'll just say that someone gave us a baby sling. I've never had a baby sling before; we've always used our trusty Snugli front-carrier thing.  The sling has a special advantage - no one even notices there's a baby in there.  People give me crazy looks when they realize my purse isn't really a purse!  I'm so excited about having a newborn and walking through the streets of my city with NO ONE noticing...and touching...and scolding me...


The sling is very heavy on my shoulder, so I probably won't be able to use it for long, but for now it's been a great way to transport baby around unnoticed!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh..Abby's so cute in there.: ) Our good friends, Dee and Ron, got this for you. I remember bringing it to the airport and you said, "Mom..I have no more room." But, then you looked in the sack and said, "I've been reading about these." You got in your huge backpack, got some items out and gave them to me, and ran off to catch your plane.
This is a great memory for me.
I love you..Mom
p.s. the pictures of you and the girls are so good. thanks for getting in those pictures. : )

Anonymous said...

I have always loved our sling for this way. Since our little guy was born in December, I pretty much hid him in my coat until March.