Tuesday, November 17, 2009

more solutions

I've been all about solutions these days.  Maybe it's because my brain has started thinking about homeschool stuff and organizing stuff and being more efficient with my time.  And stuff.  (I felt like I needed to say "stuff" one more time just to keep the flow going.)

Several months ago, or maybe last year - because I really can't remember, I saw these cool ideas on a teacher's website about daily "Calendar" routines: talking about what day it is, what day tomorrow will be, what day was yesterday, charting the weather, writing the date, and stuff like that.  Then on another website, I read about how a lady saves everything and recovers it with cloth or contact paper to transform it into something else.  I took those two ideas, smushed them together, and came up with this:

Made out of cans, construction paper, craft foam and popsicle sticks, it couldn't be cheaper.  We use these to keep track of the days, and the girls love moving them all around.  
But only recently I've started making this really work for me.  I've struggled in finding a good way to help our girls review their bible memory verses.  Let's face it: If it requires dreams and plans and ideas, count me in.  If it requires consistency, you might want to look elsewhere.  I didn't want my lack of discipline to influence their habits too!  

Somewhere, the idea hit me to store our memory verse cards in the cans and review them when we are changing the date.  It has been a great system, and even though we don't use it every day, it has helped a lot!

2 comments:

mlambchopper said...

Wow. Don't ever use the phrase.."my lack of discipline" around me when you get back, OK?
I'll go into "coma mode." I loved this idea..but, after I finished it, I'd be so proud..I'd feel like I deserved some time off! :)

We just play at Mimi's house..is that ok? We do read and just hanging around with G makes you smarter..he always makes adventures out of everything. :)

What busy girls you are. Loved hearing about what you all are doing. I love you.
Mom

Rachel said...

That's awesome! I did "calendar" homeschooling with Ali for one week - and it was a disaster. Because I showed her when she was going to get to play with her BFF AJ, but then AJ had to cancel. All week, all I heard was, "But it's supposed to be time to play with AJ!!!".

Unfortunately, she's a bit too black and white to understand that sometimes, calendars CHANGE. :)