...but actually, we're celebrating thanksgiving in just a few hours with all our friends and it promises to be as fun as ever. Except - and here's a reason to be thankful! - it's not at my house! Our thanksgiving has more than doubled in size since last year: last year, we had 6 adults and 8 children...this year, it's 15 adults and 15 children!
Anyway, in the spirit of thakfulness, I've been meditating on that theme these last few weeks. The thought that keeps coming to my mind relates in a way to Jesus' teaching on loving your enemies.
"For if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even the sinners and tax collectors love those. But I say to you, love your enemies..."
Twist that a bit, apply it to thanksgiving, and I've been thinking:
It's easy to be thankful when things are going well. It's easy to be thankful when the trial or difficulty is over. Even nonbelievers, atheists, and idol worshippers can be thankful for the good things that come to them. The tricky part is being thankful when all is not well, when you're still in the thick of difficulty not knowing when or if it will be over. Because we can trust our souls to a faithful Creator in doing what is right, we are able to be thankful no matter the circumstances. I think its impossible to be truly thankful for anything if it's not rooted in the sovereignty of God and His mind-boggling goodness toward us.
So. Those are my thoughts about that. I am thankful for so much in my life: my kids (even when they disrupt my plans for the day with incessant crying), my husband (even though it requires extra sacrifice of my time to serve and assist him), our families in America who are so great at keeping in touch with us and loving us, my friends who have been such a support and encouragement to my spirit these last few years...truly, I could go on and on about the ways I've been blessed.
In just a couple of hours, we'll head out of the house to celebrate thanksgiving, just as many of you in America are finishing up your thanksgiving day. Since there are so many people, my contributions to our feast are smaller than in years past. Here's what's been cooking at my house:
The Luby's dinner roll. I know lots of people think Luby's is for old people, but they are sorely mistaken. I love luby's almost as much as I love mexican food.
And other the rolls and a cranberry-applesauce which is not pictured bcause it looked , the bulk of my contributions are usually added to the dessert table. Like these little pilgrim hats for the kids:

I've just got to say: I love me some pilgrim hats. Chocolate covered marshmallows stuck on top of an oreo? Yep, I made a whole batch for my family a few days before thanksgiving.
Or this Pecan Pie, recipe courtesy of the Pioneer Woman...because these days, it seems almost un-american not to love PW. I figure, Pecan Pie is so good, it doesn't really matter whose recipe you use, you'll still get fat and love every minute of it.
Chocolate Lovers Cheesepie - because the chocolate food group must be well represented at any thanksgiving feast:
Oh, yeah... I also forgot about this bowl of potatoes that is at this very moment in the oven being transformed into a huge dish of cheesy au gratin potatoes.

So there you have it. Starches and Chocolate, the very essence of thanksgiving for me. And if there happens to be a turkey there, that'll be alright too. But please, let's not forgot the chocolate.
Happy Thanksgiving!



3 comments:
I was just telling Brandon yesterday that if there was anyone in East Asia that I would absolutely LOVE to have Thanksgiving with it would be you guys! Not only would you be awesome company, but you DEFINITELY know how to do thanksgiving right! I'm all about the food! :)
What sweet pilgrim hats!
Wow..I forgot to remember how thankful I have always been for Luby's rolls. When you come home, will you teach me to make Luby's rolls..or just make them all the time for me. I love chocolate, too, but anyone who truly knows me...knows starches are my THANG!!
Aunt Mindy was so kind to have Thanksgiving at her house. I had called her at 10:30 to ask some random question. She didn't answer..so I called nana. I found out the worse news..a squirrel had eaten (he's dead now) through the wiring...HENCE, NO MASHED POTATOES!
So..your dad makes the ULTIMATE sacrifice. He turns our mashed potatoes (we had just made them the night before) into more..like the little boy who brought the fish..and we take OUR mashed potatoes. Katie and I thought..hmm...We knew he was right. He had to give up our potatoes. Anyways, they didn't even use them. Power got restored..potatoes were made..and it was a lovely Thanksgiving Dinner.
I love your Pilgrm hats. :) They make me happy. :) I love you.
Mom
Post a Comment