Thursday, November 12, 2009

snow! snow!

So, like I said yesterday, we woke up to see snow!  I knew it was going to snow the night before - josh was on his way home from another traveling stint and I was afraid the snow might delay his flight - but I wasn't sure how much we'd get.  It snowed briefly two years ago, but just a light dusting...certainly not enough to play in.
This is what we saw out our window:
After breakfast, we got all bundled up and headed outside.  Since there hasn't been a big snow while we've been here, I've missed out on fun and interesting Asianese snow culture.  For example, snowmen are popular here, but equally popular are any other creatures made of snow...like this snow buddha here:
It's hard to see the detail in this picture, but its a buddha sitting with hands folded in a prayer position.  Who knew...?
We opted for a more traditional snow approach, starting with snow angels:
We began work on a snowman and then headed inside for lunch and a respite from the cold. but first I had an onlooker snap a picture of the girls and I:
After lunch, we skipped naps and daddy came outside too, for a lesson how to make snowballs:

The girls had a great time playing, running, throwing, rolling and jumping in the snow.  I almost teared up watching them enjoy their first big snow.  I know, I'm pathetic and emotional.  I know.  


We also brought a bag of stuff to put on our snowgirl. (There are never any requests for any male-gendered anything in our house!  No snowmen here! Snowgirl was the request!)  We used my princess hat for her head, but emma was very concerned that it kept blowing off.
We got it to stick on long enough to take a quick picture:
We added seashells (yes, I save everything) for her buttons:
Our friend was downstairs helping us with kids and cameras, so she jumped in this one:
I thought the girls' first big snow would have to wait until we got back to america next year, but I was wrong. What fun times!

4 comments:

sandra said...

What beautiful photos! Just look at all that pink!

Carrie said...

That picture of your whole fam. is so great! I just read on ZG Briefs that the snow was a gift from the government. That happened in our old city last year, so yesterday our kids were screaming "it's REAL snow, not from the government!!" I'm sorry to say that this too was from the gov't. But it was still fun. Thanks Hu!

mlambchopper said...

These are the most beautiful Christmas snow pictures I have ever seen! My goodness..these darling Angel Snow Girls..and I'm talking about Rachie, Emma, Samantha, and precious Baby Abby. Josh just rounds out the picture looking so happy and handsome.

You girls look so beautiful in pink and the actual "SnowGirl" you made is darling. Frosty gets duded out all the time..but, who can compete with a Snowgirl???

I can't wait to show your girls the videos and pictures of you and Dustin, Holly, and Katie building snowmen every year. Do you remember the order of who came in first due to being cold and who was the last? You and Kate would come in first..and Holly and Dustin would stay out until they were blue and shivvering. :)

I'm so happy the snow came and that Josh got home before the snow...and so he could help make a memory and...be in pictures. What a darling family..these pictures will make great screen savers. I am officially in the Christmas spirit as of RIGHT NOW!!
I love you...
MOM

Rachel said...

It's so strange, but I would have never thought it snowed there. I don't know why, it just seems. . . odd..

But the snow buddha - that's hilarious.