Monday, November 30, 2009

officially

Walking.  Officially and unavoidably, for the record, completely walking.

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Neither is she, for that matter.  

Sometimes this skill makes her laugh - giggles of previously-unexperienced joy, so proud and astonished that those two pudgy stumps can actually shakily propel her across the floor...
Sometimes this skill makes her cry - the falls, bumps and bruises are piling up!  She took her shaky first steps last month when josh was out of town, and has slowly been gaining confidence.  Yesterday was her watershed day, though, and she chose walking over crawling each time she wanted to move.  


I caught her this morning balanced ON TOP of the arm of Emma's chair, holding on to the side of the table.  

How did this happen?

It's certainly not because I've spent hours practicing with her and encouraging her to walk.  Heavens, no! I'd never do that - ok, ok, maybe I did with my first kid, but who still does those things after their first kid is born?

In fact, I carry her around so much just to maintain a certain level of peace in the house that I'm surprised she's even found the time to learn such a skill.

Its like there's this irrepressible urge inside her little self that years for mobility.  Faster. Higher. Stronger.  You know, that Olympian thing.  Sheesh.

The girl amazes me.  And frightens me.  And makes me want to grab a coke and soak in the bath. 

6 comments:

Carrie said...

WHAT?!?! How is she walking? That's amazing....have fun :).

mlambchopper said...

What a strong little princess. Yikes..9 months and walking. There's just so much going on where you live. She didn't want to miss anything.

Savor those bubble baths. Grab one whenever you can get one. So..I'm guessing the object is to find toys so entertaining she wants to sit and play with them. We'll see what we can do.
Love you...
Momma

Anonymous said...

Rachel, Abby is taking after her daddy. He also walked at 9 months old. It is funny looking to see such a small human walking around.

mlambchopper said...

Seriously...Josh walked at 9 months. No wonder. I could not figure out how this baby was walking because I know she has not gotten that much practice...and you were not encouraging her.

Maybe she will be athletic. We can go watch her be a basketball or softball star someday. I will not allow anyone to wrestle Abbycadbra. :) Go Sooners...I can see Abby now with all the grandparents in the grandstands. :)

Rachel said...

That's amazing!! She's so teeny looking to be walking!! Again, my overly cautious child would never have DREAMED of trying something like WALKING at that age!!! :)

Anonymous said...

hey rachel! this summer while i was big and preggo and not being able to chase ainsley very well, she discovered how to climb the steps of the huge (taller than me) slide on our playground! i looked over as she started the ascent and before i could get over there, she was at the top of the dangerously open slide! ahhhh!

i think the third has this innate sense of trying to be just like the big sisters and do everything they do. ainsley truly believes she can do everything ashley and abigail do and get very testy if she is not allowed to. it is making her training days challenging!

hope you're having a tremendous amount of fun with your girls!

rikki