The last two months have been a little weird with emma being gone so much. Most of the time, I really enjoy the extra time I get with samantha, and I even get special time with emma on the way home from school. But lunch time is especially quiet, and I am often surprised at how much I miss her silly laugh and cheerful presence at the lunchtable.
But samantha and I have also had lots of fun times together. Nearly every day, she asks if we can go outside - and now that the weather is warm but not too hot, it's been fun to take her with me on my errands. She loves riding the bus (or at least the part where she gets to swipe the bus pass or put the money in the box) and likes getting special snacks when we go outside. Mommy likes that part too.
On the agenda this particular day was a trip by bus to the city's central post office where I had to sort out a problem that arose last week. At the bus stop, samantha loves watching all the buses go by. "Is this our bus, Mommy?" "Is this one ours?" Patiently, she waits, money in hand.


Because she's a child - and a foreign child - she always gets a seat. Looking out the window provided her plenty of things to comment on. Bicycles, for all their ubiquity here, always capture her attention.
on the bus: self portrait.
The stop closest to the post office lets you off right at the entrance to the city square. The square is actually really well laid out, with lots of flowers, kites, and fountains (and not to mention pooping pigeons! :) The square also is bordered on one side by a natural spring, so the stone bridges and weeping willows on that side are quite nice as well.

Samantha didn't mind going back to the post office, because some friendly little clerks last week gave her seaweed-flavored crackers. She munched on them the entire time I filled out my twelve customs forms for shipping! She told me as we walked closer to the familiar gold-and-green sign, "Mommy, that lady gave me cookies. I do want to go there!" How anything with seaweed could possibly qualify as a cookie is beyond me.
After the post office, we walked up to wal-mart to buy a few things. And on the way up, I remembered they had a terribly odd bench just outside. I got a picture of it, just so you could marvel with me at the strangeness of it all. 

Um, yes. That baby is naked. And yes, he is a boy. Samantha was more concerned with whether or not that mister really was looking at her or not. But she did want to know if the baby had eyes. Now, that question I can answer!
Inside wal-mart...nobody's too concerned about BPA's here...
at the check-out line, doing some checking out of her own...

and we had to get a picture of the girl....
...because, well....
so, a shout to my big-little sister! if you only knew how many managers I had to talk to to get that picture!
5 comments:
She is so cute! I'm glad to see you skipped the split pants on your own children. I just never get that whole thing.
It is really cool to see pictures of places I've been too. When I saw the sculpture in the background it made my heart leap!
And the Wal-mart nam tags... have they always had English names on them? I don't remember that.
I also think just walking around that area or "any" area in Asia is an interesting experience!! Mantha is so cute. I'm glad you are getting so many pictures of her at this age. It goes by so fast, little one. I was glancing at some pictures of you recently when you were two. (Like I need a reason to "tear" up!) :) Happy Tears!
I love the name tag photo of that "Holly." Your baby sister went to a wedding for Rachel B. in Florida. When she gets back, she'll love that she has a starring role in your blog.
We love you, mama eggroll.
Mom
You have been a busy blogger. I haven't had time to check lately and boom I missed like 4 or 5. Way to go with the great pics!! I always forget to take my camera out with me. I need to do better. Loved the photo essay of your day with Mantha!!
I think the reason you had a hard time getting a picture of the name tag, is because it's a different girl!!! Unless she's been on Jinnee Klegg and lost some weight, she's borrowing her pudgy friend's name tag. Even in Asia, the skinny girls have a fat friend. It's a Universal truth. Happy Mother's Day. Hopefully you bought some chocolate at Wal-Mart. So what are you waiting for? Go eat it. Love,
G
LOVE the photo of her looking out the bus window. Oh my.
Post a Comment