Woke up to rain.
Waking up to rain is actually nice, I think. I like the pitter patter (we also get the swoosh of the eight lanes of traffic below our house speeding through the traffic) and the way it slowly rouses you to the day ahead. When I woke up, josh told us we were heading to McD's for breakfast. Score. I'm all about the sausage.
The girls had matching curly-q bows in their hair, and if cute girls aren't enough of a mothers day present, I don't know what is.

I put this picture in because I'm always amazed at how well samantha eats with a fork. I mean, she eats like she's a real-life toddler. Oh yeah...she is! Somehow, I always think of her as this still-tiny baby - and it seems incredible to me that this still-tiny baby can eat, talk, and do the things that she does. Except that she's not a still-tiny baby anymore. She's a big almost-two-year-old who certainly has her opinions about stuff.
After McD's, the plan was to go run a few errands and hang out at this pretty lake, but the rain kind of altered the plan. We did, however, put to good use the Dora umbrella that my parents brought the girls...
We still ran the errands, and it ended up giving me a most unexpected surprise...
After McD's, the plan was to go run a few errands and hang out at this pretty lake, but the rain kind of altered the plan. We did, however, put to good use the Dora umbrella that my parents brought the girls...
We still ran the errands, and it ended up giving me a most unexpected surprise...One of the things josh had to do was in an area of town that I seldom go to and have never explored. But I was amazed as we wandered down little alleys I had never seen before. It was almost as if I stepped back in time, to the asia I have read about and studied, not the asia I live in that is all about breakneck development and heaven-reaching skyscrapers. It was an enclave of quiet simplicity and its quiet simplicity was overwhelming to me. I felt a little like a wide-eyed kid walking around seeing things for the first time.
It wasn't that I'd never seen this kind of thing before - certainly some of the villages and country places we'd been in the South had traces of this kind of thing...and the capital is (trying to) making efforts at keeping these sorts of places safe from the wrecking ball - but for whatever reason, I loved wandering through these alleys.
I only had my tiny old camera with me - because it was raining, and I only expected us to go to McDonalds - so I hope to go back sometime and get better pictures, but I'm going to post these anyway so you can walk down the street with me...



I can't help but look at these old-style doors, with all their tradition and strength, and hear His words: I stand at the door and knock; if anyone will hear my voice and open the door, I will come in... Sometimes it feels like hearts here are like some of these doors - closed, locked, bolted.



...but then some doors were open just a bit, to where you could see a tiny bit down the alley, but nothing else. They felt so mysterious to me - willing to be open, but not to where you could see anything without prying.

Maybe the overcast sky made the place seem more surreal than it normally would have been, but I so enjoyed myself. I loved the narrowness of the streets, even the narrowness of entrances past the doors - reminders of how the way is so narrow and easy to miss. I loved the quiet, reflective mood it created in my heart as I walked through the area. 

By the time we reached the end of the alley, I had taken enough time snapping pictures that the rain started up again, but that worked out ok too, because then I had my camera out for this moment -


Maybe the overcast sky made the place seem more surreal than it normally would have been, but I so enjoyed myself. I loved the narrowness of the streets, even the narrowness of entrances past the doors - reminders of how the way is so narrow and easy to miss. I loved the quiet, reflective mood it created in my heart as I walked through the area. 

By the time we reached the end of the alley, I had taken enough time snapping pictures that the rain started up again, but that worked out ok too, because then I had my camera out for this moment -


8 comments:
Hey Rach, glad you had a good mother's day! I absolutely LOVE the picture of the girls under the umbrella. Precious. What an amazing blogger you are!
i just cant wait to see you all. the girls are so stinking cute!!!!! I loved the way you drew a parallel between the allies/doors and their hearts. I would have never thought of something like that. You are just a little writer. love you
kate
I love hearing the adventures, I just wish Josh had more time to continue writing on his blog...
Love you guys, hope to catch up with you on the webcam soon!
--Emmylou's Daddy
Your photos of the "old" city are beautiful... thanks for sharing your photos and your interpretation.
I loved the way you shared about the doors and showed the pictures of the alleys. More and more..especially after this earthquake..I feel like the rocks must be crying out.."Hear my voice..Come to me."
I had to quit watching all the footage as I thought of all those who will never know the One who can open their hearts. Sweet Kate came to me almost in tears with those thoughts..That is what I want my children to grasp..what is really important in this world. It is just sharing about father to whoever...however..we can.
Seeing those precious little girls under that umbrella is an image I like to think about all the time. I'm always glad when you and Josh get in on a picture. Your happy smiles make my heart smile.
The longer you all are there..the more my heart loves those people. I love you. Mom
I am so glad you have lived in on this side of the world for many years and can still manage to eat PH and MCD in the same day. I feel much better about my life now. Glad you had a good day!
What a blessing to read your comments and to see the city through your eyes.
Your family is such a blessing and helps us all focus on the things of this world that are most important.
Love you much
Marilyn
I'm so glad you had a good mother's day. Ours was chaotic & there has been promise of a make-up mother's day, but after looking at the calendar I'd say that won't happen for another month. I hope there's lots of make-up chocolate involved!
Post a Comment