Sunday, May 18, 2008

dinnertable questions

The recent earthquake in our area of the world has provided some interesting table topics at our house. At Emma's school (which she is temporarily un-attending, due to a virus running around the country) they did a little fundraiser where all the kids talked about what they could do without and contribute some money to send to the earthquake victims. Josh and I talked about the earthquake victims and what happened a few days ago with the girls and have been praying for the people, especially the children, who are still trapped or missing.

Tonight as we were finishing off the last of my very disappointing homemade queso, Emma asked us: Is our house going to fall?

After several beats of silence thinking over how to respond to her, I gave her what I thought was a pretty accurate and honest answer. I told her I was pretty sure our house wouldn't fall. It might, but probably not. If it did fall, though, no matter how bad it seemed, God would always be with us. Even when really bad things happen, God never leaves us. He is always with us and He always looks after His children.

Emma was quiet for a long moment. Finally, she looked up at me with her big, honest eyes.

"Mama," she started, "what I meant was the song about the wise man and the foolish man. The ones who built their houses."

Oh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As I have stayed glued to all types of coverage lately from Asia..Emma's statement brought a grandmother to tears.
To catch that glimpse of a child's heart..of the things that you are wanting to instill into them..all at age 3...wow. When we think that our tiny ones are too little to absorb powerful doctrine..we are so wrong. They do watch, listen, and their little minds just "sponge" up what we teach.
Thank you mama and papa eggroll for teaching emma eggroll and little mantha eggroll about our true and secure foundation. I love you..MOM
P.S. I am sorry for such a serious blog. :(